Sunday, March 18, 2012

We Are Not in Control of the Disease

This week, an affirmation was given to me by a friend... "We are not in control of the disease, we are only in control of how we react to it." I am a DEEP thinker, and when someone gives me an affirmation like this, I will ponder it, turning it around over and over in my head, specifically identifying how it relates to me.

I am a type A--- "Take Control" type of person, jump in with two feet, I have always been this way, specifically in my job as a Special Education Teacher. I am also very "goal oriented" and if the goal is not met to my standards, it means I failed. After all, in Special Education, I am a bugger about goals being measurable, obtainable, and appropriate for the population of students I teach. But, you know what? The goals I have been setting for myself lately have not always been obtainable or appropriate for me. Which, going back to my goal writing for Individual Education Plans, would have meant "failing" to meet a goal.  In my students, I would modify the goal. Why was I not modifying MY goals? Because, I was too busy trying to control Rheumatoid Autoimmune Disease. (RAD) It was time to really start thinking and on how I could control my reactions to the disease. So, in order to control my reactions, I would need to modify my OWN goals, just as I would my student's.

Yesterday, was St Patrick's Day, being a Byrne, it is a very festive day for us. For the past several years, we have attended a large parade in a local city. My niece happens to be the Chief of the Fire Department where this parade is held. She marches in the parade every year with her brothers and sisters of the Fire Department. Fire Departments from all over the United States and the World come to march in the parade. This particular year, due to numerous commitments, I was the only one able to attend the parade. I really did not want to miss it, and I took the attitude of "I AM GOING- I WILL PAY TO PLAY" a common phrase we use in the RAD community. My niece, asked me to bring the wheelchair... "No way was I bringing the wheelchair!" She reminded me of the walking involved... nope, I was in control, I had a goal of attending that parade on FOOT (and paying for it later with pain). But wait a minute... was I controlling my reaction to RAD? Was I setting an appropriate and obtainable goal for myself? The answer was a simple "no". I then modified the goal, I would attend the parade, in the wheelchair and I would enjoy it, without paying for it!

Flash forward to the parade- it was awesome, the biggest it has ever been, and the bagpipers (my personal favorite) and fire trucks were incredible. And, apparently, a woman in a wheelchair, with a nice camera, is memorable!! And, by that I mean, the Ambulance Victoria Pipe and Drums from Australia  sought me out and gave me their facebook page, requesting that I send photos, as well as The Chairman of the Dublin Fire Brigade Pipe Band asking for pictures as well.

I think I am on the right Track (pun intended!) As our black lab, Annie, earned her Tracking Dog title with my husband as her handler this morning in Orlando! She is now known as Stoneridge Can't Miss JH TD, Congratulations to my wonderful love giver Tom, and support/service dog Annie!

And remember that affirmation.....
"We are not in control of the disease, we are only in control of how we react to it."


For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? Luke 14:28

Blessings ~ Kim

1 comment:

  1. This is an amazing post, Kim! It's so hard to let go and not try to control the "thing" and simply focus on your own response. I am so glad you decided to take the wheelchair and were able to enjoy yourself and still feel okay later! Also: I wish we had a St. Patrick's Day parade :(

    I like your verse at the end, too...I never really thought about the verse in that light before, but it really can apply to so many goals in life--especially with chronic illness.

    ReplyDelete