Monday, March 12, 2012

Rheumatoid Autoimmune is a DISEASE---

I am changing up my blog a little--- because--- I want to, and I can! No more day counting... (:

Yes, I have been MIA for awhile.. but, I am back to "Kim". I am also still fighting the Rheumatoid Autoimmune Disease  (RAD) battle, and what it is doing to my body.  To catch you up a little... Rheum doc said my disease is out of control, and increased prednisone, something I did not want to do, but it is a fact of life.... and for now, I am taking advantage of the pred to catch up on things I have let go. Don't get me wrong, I am still in pain, almost constantly, but it is duller and I can function, I walk with a limp and do not get out of a chair fast! And God Bless those stores that have the electric carts! I have started on Orencia sub q weekly, second dose tomorrow and continue on the methotrexate sub q weekly.

Chronic Illness is a tough one to explain to people who have not experienced it. Frankly, I was one of those people who did not understand the ramifications of a chronic illness disease until about 3 years ago, before I started to exhibit signs of RAD. Having said that--- Chronic illnesses or diseases such as Cancer, Cardiac, and Tuberculosis, get recognition through foundations, fundraising walks, and charity events. Unfortunately,  many people are under the impression that RAD is "just arthritis". And, the Arthritis Foundation supports us. Hmmm, not true, after several unanswered phone calls to my local Arthritis Foundation, they finally answered and point blank told me... "You know RAD is so different, we do not have a support group for you, we have no resources for you, but please buy our magazine!"

RAD has  no cure  and actually affects the entire body in many different ways, depending on whose body it decides to occupy. RAD can get in to your GI system, your heart, your liver, your kidneys, your voice box or larnyx, your lungs, your eyes, the point is... it is "not just the joints". The list goes on, I am sure I left something off!  So humor me...since RAD is a disease, why do people continually ignore that fact and simply think that if all medications are stopped, or not taken, you will "feel better"... and the go "natural/holistic" approach advice is given almost daily. Would a person with Cancer, Heart Disease, or Tuberculosis be given such advice? Would the "physical pain" of these diseases be ignored by not only friends, family-- but also (egads) a lot of doctors! NO!  But... if you are experiencing the RAD disease....this is exactly what happens. On a daily basis--- I am advised of a holistic approach, remove the medication approach, and the pain... "oh it can't be "that bad"! Live it with me for a day or two, please!--- fortunately for me, I have a very compassionate husband, who understands the pain, and questions me daily on it. I also have a very compassionate Rheum Doc, who actually told me the other day, that my pain tolerance was the highest she had ever seen! (As she is giving me a cortizone shot in my hip and I am not flinching.) I also make a true effort to surround myself with positive people.

Now, do not get me wrong, I *DO* think there are holistic and natural "treatments" that can assist with the disease of RAD. Epsom salt baths have helped me the past two days to dull the pain, however, it means I struggle out of bed, in to a bath! I am learning meditation and relaxation techniques. I am juicing to assist with nutrition.  And probably the most important thing...I am discovering the natural beauty of Florida through photography. A hobby I have always enjoyed, but I am taking to the next level. I am finding that when I am looking at nature and within nature, I actually "forget" RAD... and focus on the wildlife or flora that I am trying to capture via a photo. I then put these photos on a slideshow on my Ipad, set some music to it, and on those bad pain days...I watch the photos and listen to the music as a relaxation technique.

Bottom line, RAD is a disease and needs to be recognized as such by not only the people who surround you, The RAD sufferer, but the medical community as well.  And... I might add... the same goes for Menieres Disease  a disease also with no cure that I did not know about myself.... until I met a friend afflicted with it. It too, is unrecognized by many in the public and medical community and deserves the recognition for the disease that it is....

To read more about how nature has and will help me personally--- take the time to read an excellent article written by Rick Wood

Hiking Back to Normal


"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ."
Galatians 6:2  Blessings-- and compassion--- Kim

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! What a great blog! You've really the captured the frustration of the lack of awareness/support of this disease! Congratulatons to you for focusing on your photography & relaxation techniques! Look forward to your next blog!

    ReplyDelete