Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 28/29 of 365

Friendships Created Through Illness
Day 28, a GREAT day for me... but I was too tired to give it justice in a Blog. I had to think on this blog. Day 29, Tom is sick, my caregiver is sick, I have no immune system, I can't take care of him the way he takes care of me. But- I can do house stuff, and watch dogs, and feed dogs, so I did that, and I did a lot of resting from my great 28 day.  (:

The night before day 28- a friend of mine posted that he was going to a place to take photos of Manatees, he put out an "all call" on his facebook to anyone who wanted to join him. I have been wanting to capture manatees with the camera! It so happens, this camera belonged to this same friend, and he had sold it to me for Tom, for Christmas. I rested, I went to bed early, I was not going to miss this day with the manatees! I was UP and ready-- I HURT, do not get me wrong, but I was going to work through this pain, I was not missing it.

My friend, had an appointment with a Dr to check on his hearing loss. You see, he has another mis understoood, under diagnosed, little researched disease, which makes it so similar to RAD. He has Meniere's Disease . He texted me earlier and said he shouldn't be long at the doctor, as he was as deaf, as a "cucumber",  his words, we all use dark humor, with chronic illness, or, we would cry more then laugh.

I found my way to the place where we were to meet, and got out of the car, and there- in front of me, are THREE manatees! I am IN AWE! I am SOOO THRILLED, the feeling was INCREDIBLE, BREATHTAKING, all rolled in to one... I didn't want to move, there was a bench there, and I sat and just watched and listened, the manatees would snort and surface, and I was just spellbound. I texted my friend, said I was there and it was **AWESOME**. I did not get a reply, but, did not think to much on that, because, he might still be with the doc, or on the way, I didn't know. He knew where we were to meet. So I waited. I knew he was running a little late, but then, we all know how doctor appointments go. After I while I got a text, "I am on the way". and then shortly, "I am here". I see my friend and I ask him immediately, "How did it go at the doctor?" he said it was "awful" and did not want to talk about it. I took him at his word, and not knowing him well enough, did not push or pry. He immediately went in to the camera work, looked at my camera (He is actually the "Uncle" to the camera with liberal visitation rights) and checked the settings, gave me a few tips, and just started giving me this crash course in "everything wildlife photography 101". I was absorbing it all, asking questions, and occasionally he would say something about the Dr appointment that was negative, I would let him talk, and shake my head, thumbs down, telling him that sucked, etc. The day was rainy-- so we kept having to take refuge in the car to keep the cameras dry. In the car, I got more lessons on APPS for the phone, on photography, and how to watch for wildlife, what to look for, what he knew was in the area... things I would have taken years to learn. (I truly should have had a notebook, and next time I will!) We also talked about our diseases a bit. What we were going to do, how SS disability worked, how hard our caregivers work, what did the future hold, where we had been and where we were headed---- and how we hear about every "home grown remedy" and we are so tired of hearing about that. When the rain stopped, we went out, and took more pictures, more lessons, and WOW! The time flew. I had to head back home, made a few stops on the way, and did not get home until after dark.

I, of course, can hardly wait to download my photos and check Facebook, and my friend, Rick, has tagged me in a post he had written in a note. The post was entitled, The Eroding of Me. In it, Rick spoke in depth about that Doctor's appointment and how poorly he was treated by the medical staff. It was heartbreaking, as all of us with RAD have had a similar experience, and I could truly empathize with him. As I know many of my friends with RAD and Crohns can. They physically hurt Rick, in examining his ears, and Rick, is a big stoic guy, a Gulf War vet, Rick wrote about how he wondered what his use to the world was... he was angered (as he should be!). And, then...he remembered he had made plans to see manatees with a 'friend".... and he could not let me down.  Let me down!  Oh my GOODNESS! He taught me SO MUCH after his horrible experience... I had the best day I have had in a month or more, seeing manatees and learning so much and I might add, becoming addicted to photographing wild life! My day was truly made, and on a day that will come soon, when the pain is so bad, I will reflect on those manatees and those lessons, to forget about the pain, because Rick, did not want to let a friend down. So- Rick-- I dedicate this blog to you-- And I urge everyone to learn more about Menieres by visiting the following websites... I am currently looking for a hot button to link up to my site to bring more awareness to this disease-- as it falls in to the same catagory as RAD, and...it truly shows us, We are NOT ALONE... in Chronic Illness, whether it be RAD, JRA, MM, LUPUS, PSA... the list continues, we are all in this together... Chronic Illness is Chronic Illness... and Caregivers are Caregivers.. we have to support each other, Friendships are made because of these diseases, and I have also seen friendships lost due to these diseases.... let's remember- we are all hurting, maybe not in the same exact way--- but the unpredictability and the life changing, life modifying challenges by having a chronic Illness or having a family member with a Chronic illness puts us all in the same boat in the end.

Please take the time to learn a little more about Menieres as I did today-  you see, I have a friend with Menieres, and, yesterday-- he showed me just how similar a Chronic Illness can be... no matter what the disease is called.

http://www.menieresfoundation.org/
http://www.menieres.org/
http://www.menieres.org/hines.htm#silent

And-- for a special treat-- to see a truly talented Photographer...visit Rick's site
Rick Wood Photography

And MY picture! The picture of a Manatee! I will get more--- but this one, will hold a special place for me.

A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need. Proverbs 17:17
Blessings and Friendships--- Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment