Saturday, May 26, 2012

Learning to Live...

A long overdue post-- I have been busy, learning a new lifestyle of Rheumatoid Arthritis and Crohns. Learning about limits, as well as discovering new hobbies, new friends, and things to keep my mind busy and my life productive. 

Medically- not a lot of changes. I am now just about 6 weeks into my Rituximab therapy. I have noticed some "subtle" changes. I still have hopes of the treatment working. My rheumatologist, as well as several I follow on Twitter, have expressed to me that after the third infusion, I will notice a difference. The third infusion can not happen until approx. 4 months after the first, due to the long half life of Rituximab. So-- that will not occur until around August. In the meantime, my Rheumatologist updated my xrays on my back and noticed the following...

"There is mild dextrotilt centered at L2.   There is no lateral subluxation.  There is no anterior or posterior listhesis.   The vertebral body heights are preserved.  There is severe disc space narrowing at L2-3 with endplate sclerosis.  There is facet disease from L3-4 through L5-S1.  There is no fracture visualized.   The soft tissues are unremarkable." 

So, this newest diagnosis bought me a ticket to a spinal doctor for a possible series of epidurals, as well as a stint in physical therapy. The physical therapy is actually a positive, as I picked a place with a heated pool. I start next week and am looking forward to learning some exercises that I can continue in our own pool. 

Back to the topic of my blog... "Learning to Live..." That is exactly what I am trying to do. I have returned to the comfortable fold of several of my close dog friends, and have met a few new friends along the way. While, I can't train Annie, I can tag along with Tom, and take photos of her and the other dogs tracking. I have enjoyed renewing the friendships and 'talking" dogs. I have also been volunteering with the chimps at Lion Country Safari through Chimpanzoo, a program supported by The Jane Goodall Institute . I also just volunteered to be on the news and events committee in our neighborhood, so I am hoping that will give me some extra diversion in my new lifestyle. Sadly, I have not been able to get to see my seaturtles as much as I would like. This is mostly due to the distance of the drive. However, I do have plans next week to make a special trip to meet the newest "patient", Betsy, at Loggerhead Marinelife.

While making these changes in "learning to live", I have come across the realization that, I do not want my diagnosis to "all consume" my life and become a 24/7 job of teaching people awareness, and/or becoming the walking 'billboard" of RA and Crohns. My "support" group of people, has become remarkably absent of those whom have been diagnosed with autoimmune disease, and truthfully, I think this is healthier for me. My friends are diverse, some living with chronic illness but not allowing it to define them, and some living with what life has to offer. All of the friends I surround myself are positive in nature, and a fun loving group. Our similarities tend to include a love of dogs, animals, nature, conservation, and of course photography.  This "changeover" in my support system has been a healthy learning experience for me. I see others, "all consumed", living and breathing, RA, Crohns, and Chronic illness, while the illness is there, and I am not advocating ignoring it, I am advocating to broaden your horizons, and to find meaning or purpose in activities and people that are not necessarily in the same medical situation as you. 



The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. John 10:10

Blessings ~ Kim 




Pictured is Max, my BFL husband's tracking dog, working to find the glove!

No comments:

Post a Comment