Friday, April 6, 2012

Appointment With Self

The last weeks have been busy. I have been completely consumed by treating my Rheumatoid Autoimmune Disease. (RAD) Each week is filled with medical appointments, some days, I have 2 to 3 appointments. One week, I counted 8 medical appointments in the week!

Having a disease such as RAD can be a full time job, and it can consume your lifestyle. I started to see RAD consuming my life. I was waking, breathing, eating, drinking, living, sleeping, Rheumatoid. My appointment calendar, is full, doctor appointments, doctor notes, phone conversations, lab tests, etc. I took a look at the calendar recently and noticed, out of all the appointments, not one was an appointment that was made by me, FOR my enjoyment. . In order to make an appointment for me, I needed to unload responsibilities that were causing a drain on my time, and prioritize my needs and wants above others. This was a hard concept, and a lot of people did not understand, some even questioned, "was this my decision?". I can assure you, it was my decision, and I feel liberated that I actually looked at my needs first, for a change.

My appointment with myself, had to wait unfortunately. Because, I became ill from Orencia. But, I assured myself, that the appointment would come as soon as I felt well enough. I made the appointment with myself several times, and had to cancel, due to illness. But, I continued to make the appointment.

Today, I am pleased to say, I made the appointment, and... I kept it! My appointment was with my favorite wildlife, that I find so soothing, sea turtles! I was up early, and went off to my favorite turtle rehab facility, Loggerhead Marine Lifecenter with my camera at my side. I spent a little over an hour with some of my favorite "patients", snapping pictures. I came home, was exhausted but satisfied! After recovering, with a nap and a snack, I checked out the pictures I had taken. Downloading pictures is almost as much fun as the trip itself.  It felt so good to have a camera in my hand again and to have memorable pictures. Many thanks to Chestnut, the critically endangered Kemp's Ridley turtle, for being my "model" today! You were so cooperative... And provided me with so much healing entertainment...and Chestnut, be assured, your appointment for release, will be here, before you know it....

A joyful heart is good medicine, But a crushed spirit dries up the bones. Proverbs 17:22
Blessings ~ Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment